Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Dinner with the Browns

Eric and I after dinner.. the tin foil sculpture in front of us is a loaf of french bread that we took home with the tin foil shaped as a 'viking boat.' So creative. The table behind us got a tin foil 'swan.'
The four of us at the Commander's Palace. Way fancy restaurant in the Garden District in New Orleans. We arrived 1 hour early for our reservation and, thankfully, they let us be seated. Good thing too, because we were there for 3 hours! It was great spending time together and the food was quite delicious! Here's what we ordered:

Our Appetizer: 'Shrimp & Tasso Henican': Louisiana wild white shrimp, Crystal hot sauce, pickled okra and five pepper jelly. This dish was very much on the spicy side and oh so scrumptious!

Eric: Turtle soup - different, but good. 'King of Seafood': Wild caught Gulf fish, Louisiana wild white shrimp and blue crabmeat over sliced Creole tomatoes with grilled Alabama sweet corn and champagne-shellfish butter.

Myself: 'The Commander's Salad' and the New York strip of Kobe beef: A hand selected strip of American Wagyu with duck fat fingerling potatoes, bruleed shallots, local snap and yellow wax beans, roasted morels, pesto-Parmesan pommes frites and Tabasco-red pepper paint. - Not gonna lie, I don't know what half of those things are, but I do know that it was mighty tasty!

The Browns' had: 'Veal Chop Tchoupitoulas' and 'Foie Gras "Du Monde"'. I tried the Foie Gras and my was that a different taste for me! I'd never eaten duck before and honestly, I'm okay with never eating it again. The flavors were good but I think it was just too much for me...
My dessert, Creole bread pudding souffle aka "The Queen of Creole desserts."
Eric's dessert, creme brulee.

6 comments:

  1. That all looks super fancy! But somehow still Southern red-neck:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you took pictures and wrote down what everyone got because I love hearing about good food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the nicest restaurant I'd ever eaten at.. far from redneck ;) I should've taken pictures of all of our entress, Annalisa, like you did La Salette.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sticking to my guns. Any menu item with pickled okra must be classified as Redneck. I suppose if you combine "super fancy" with "Redneck" you get "classy Southern" so I guess we can compromise.

    ReplyDelete