Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Playing Catch Up!

May: Eric and I decided to go on a bike ride at a nearby park one Saturday. We noticed that there was a cement trail and so we thought we'd check it out. The bike ride turned more into a very low key mountain biking adventure. It'd rained the previous day and Eric, being a guy, rode through every puddle he possibly could. It definitely was a new adventure for me as I'd never been mountain biking before or even anything close to it. After riding through the trees on a tiny trail, we decided to call it quits and head home. But then Eric spotted a big pile of dirt and thought it'd be fun to jump it. He rode it a few times and as I was about to go next, he cautioned me to make sure I got enough speed and went up the right "track" that he had made. I asked him to go one more to so that I could see where he meant... he straight biffed it! I saw him go up the side of the dirt pile but I didn't see him land and ride off like before. I rode towards him and just as I got there, he was getting up from off the ground. I laughed so hard! Oh, good times. The orange color on his shirt, arm, and leg is from him falling. The mud is from all the puddles he rode through.

April: The first time Eric and I had driven down to check out New Orleans. This large crawfish was outside of the restaurant we ate at.
May: The pictures below are from our Crawfish Boil that our ward put on. It was mine and Eric's first time eating crawfish. It's definitely a messy food. The crawfish are served to you whole and you have to rip it apart in order to get to the meat inside the tail. First, twist and tear of the head. Next, grap the tail and squeeze it so that the top of it breaks and then peel of the hard shell of the crawfish and voila! you have successfully found crawfish 'meat'. Now the meat itself is unbelievably small. In a good sized crawfish, it's about the size of half of your thumb (smaller if you're male). I told Eric that I was okay with never eating crawfish again unless I absolutely had to.


You can see by my expression that I wasn't thrilled to be trying crawfish, but I might as well have tried it sooner rather than later, right? The flavor really wasn't bad and the texture is similar to that of shrimp. It's more the concept that I was kind of turned off by. I mean, they're whole when they're served to you for crying out loud!


One of our favorite senior Sister Missionaries, Sister Dustin. She's a hoot! She's loud and outspoken and so much fun to be around.
This is Sister Goodin, her companion. She's more on the quiet side and so sweet. We always have fun when we spend time with these ladies. They're like our grandmas out here.
Sister Matson (no, Grandma, you guys aren't related at all), another senior missionary, and her husband are two more people that we love here. The two companionships live in our apartment complex in addition to one more senior couple. They're all so nice and we enjoy spending time with them.

1 comment:

  1. I was so crushed that I missed the ward crawfish boil. We went last year, and I literally looked forward to it all year. Sounds like it was a big hit though!

    ReplyDelete